Let’s try going the whole ten yards.
-Why don’t you backup the current theme (by zipping it for example) and download it or copy it elsewhere in the server.
– add any maintenance plugin, for example (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-maintenance-mode/)
– after activating the plugin, which will say to visitors something like (we’ll be right back)
– activate a default theme (twentyfifteen for example)
– delete the circleflip theme folder from the server. (after making sure the backed up is safe elsewhere)
– upload the new one you downloaded (make sure it’s 2.2.3 by opening the file style.css)
– after uploading and activating the theme, you can check if all is good then disable the maintenance plugin
Hope this works.