Child theme

• Child theme
    Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• alitraeps
    Participant

HELP! I’m trying to create and use a child theme with CircleFlip. I’ve tired the old method and the new method in the Codex. (I’ve created and used child themes many times in the past; I am not a newbie.)

But my site keeps breaking to the point that I have to start over with a brand-new WP installation. This has happened 3 times now.

My questions are:

1) Which method of child theme works with your theme: import or enquing?
    2) Are you 100% your theme is compatible with WPML? Have you checked your theme with them to be sure?

PLEASE HELP: I cannot go through this another time.

Thanks, Alison

alitraeps
    Participant

I discovered the problem: Your own Circle Flip Portfolio Plugin.

That is what was blowing out my site multiple times. When I disabled it, the site came back and started working.

How important is this plug-in? What does it do?

Omar
    Keymaster

Hello Alitraeps,

Sorry for the untimely reply.

Glad you got your website back up.

1- CircleFlip has limited Child Theme support, you can do the basics of overriding functions.php and style.css
    No blocks however
    2- Circleflip have been tested with WPML, and we’re currently re-doing tests with the OnTheGo team of WPML.org
    nonetheless please feel free to report any problems you face with CF and WPML and we’ll gladly check it out
    3- CF portfolio plugin, is used to add portfolio elements, if you are not planning to have portfolio elements, you can disable it no problem

I am keen on knowing what was the problem the plugin caused.
    So please if you have time, let me know the steps you took so that I could replicate the problem and try and find a solution

Regards

alitraeps
    Participant

Hi, Omar.

Sorry I haven’t replied until now. I am convinced the portfolio plug-in was the problem. I’ve been working on the site now for a few days without any of the issue I had experienced when it was installed.

For starters, whenever I tried to install that plug-in, it seemed to take forever to install. So perhaps it was not installing completely. Does it reside on your server, behind a firewall or something like that, maybe?

Then, afterward, I would eventually get a white screen. Nothing: not a 404 error … just nothing.

I tried starting over with a brand-new WP installation and reinstalled the theme, etc. At least once I’m pretty sure it installed because I was able to activate it. But eventually, I would get that white screen, where it is impossible to see the site.

I worked with my webhost and determined by trial and error that it was the Portfolio plug-in causing the issue. We figured this out by disabling the plug-ins one by one.

I was running a basic set of plug-ins, which I am listing just in case you can determine if there is a conflict: bbPress, Revolution Slider, UpdraftPlus-Backup/Restore, WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation. I also had the maintenance mode plug-in that you suggest installing, but I cannot recall its name; I’m not using it now, so I’ve uninstalled it.

I don’t need the portfolio features at this moment, but I might like to use the plug-in in the future. Regardless of what I do, for your future clients, you should determine what is wrong.

Maybe if you install that set of plug-ins and then add the portfolio plug-in on top, you’ll be able to figure out what is happening.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions. And I’ll be curious to know what you figure out when you do.

Omar
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for the detailed reply,

I will install the plugins you have on a fresh install and test it out.
    The plugin is installed from a local version included in the theme files at circleflip/plugins/plugins/circleflip-portfolio.zip

Please try this out for me,
    Access your server via ftp and change the name of the plugin at wp-content/plugins/
    to be
    wp-content/plugins/circleflip-porfolio-plugin

and just to be sure, please mention the Version of CF you’re using

Regards

Omar
    Keymaster

A helpful tip,

If you ever encounter the white screen again.
    Please change the name of the theme from wp-content/themes/circleflip
    to any other name (make sure you have a default theme installed, like TwentyFifteen)

That should deactivate the theme circleflip

This also works with plugins.
    So if you need to, you can change the name of wp-content/plugins/circleflip-portfolio-plugin
    to
    wp-content/plugins/circleflip-portfolio-plugin-2

Thanks again

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Child theme’ is closed to new replies.