v2.5 update 2 bugs

Tagged: 

• v2.5 update 2 bugs
    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• karelleninc
    Participant

Here is the list of v2.5 update 2.

1. UL/LI in pages/posts: You have fixed the font size and face, thanks, but unfortunately line-height in UL/LI doesn’t match the one for common theme. In common theme with my settings the line height is 23px, while in post/page UL/LI it’s 20px. Furthermore, UL/LI does not offset from the left like it would be expected, i.e. bullet point is aligned with a body of text whereas it’s supposed to be offset right by a “tab”.

2. OL/LI in forum posts: You have fixed the font size and as opposed to #1, the line height is 23px just like the body of text. Unfortunately, you also added margin-bottom of 10px for every LI, so now the lists look widely spaced.

Can you please make sure that UL/LI and OL/LI have identical font face, weight, style, size and line-height in ALL posts, forums and pages unless specifically changed for that UL or OL and that all UL and OL are offset by an appropriate number of tabs depending on the depth of the list? It looks really unprofessional and I can’t release the site with these problems πŸ™

3. Blog entries have both “Continue Reading->” and [More] button. “Continue Reading->” should go away.

Links to the problem examples are provided privately.

karelleninc
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Bishoy Melek

Hello @karelleninc,

About the first two points, they will be fixed in the next version which will be released soon.
    About the last point, Please check that you didn’t added “continue reading” from “insert read more tag” button in the tinymce and let me know the updates.

My Regards,

karelleninc
    Participant

Hi @bishoy,

1,2 – Thanks!
    3. I have a <!–more–> within the text, but it doesn’t contain any caption. There is no other way to securely delineate the excerpt.

Bishoy Melek

Hello Karelleninc,

You should delete the <!-more-> tag within the text in order to let the button disappear.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,
    My Regards,

karelleninc
    Participant

@bishoy, I don’t want the button to disappear. I want the button to be present and only show the properly formatted excerpt up to where the <!-more-> tag is without the “Continue Reading->” at the end of the excerpt.

karelleninc
    Participant

@bishoy-melek, Here, I’ve done the legwork for you.

You guys are using “the_excerpt” instead of “the_content” which, basically, ignores the <!–more–> tag entirely, see bottom of the https://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt

“””
    The manual WordPress excerpt is often confused with the automatic excerpt or with the teaser (the part of a post that appears on the front page when you use the More tag). While both are related to the manual excerpt, they are different from it.

The relationship between the three is this: When a post has no manual excerpt and the post template uses the the_excerpt() template tag, WordPress generates an excerpt automatically by selecting the first 55 words of the post. When the post template uses the the_content() template tag, WordPress will look for the More tag and create a teaser from the content that precedes the More tag.
    “””

If you use “the_content” (https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_content/) this problem would be solved. I cannot reasonably customize this, it has to be done from the theme.

karelleninc
    Participant

Even more specificially, here’s the issue in blog-layout-one.php (partials/blog-layout-one.php):

<div class=”clearfix postText”>
    <p><?php echo circleflip_string_limit_characters( get_the_excerpt(), ‘800’ ) ?></p>
    </div>
    <?php $read_more_alt_text = cr_get_option( “blog_read_more” ); ?>
    “><span><?php echo ($read_more_alt_text) ? esc_html($read_more_alt_text) : _e( ‘More’, ‘circleflip’ ); ?></span><span class=’btnBefore’></span><span class=’btnAfter’></span>

Firstly, don’t get the excerpt, get the content, per above.
    Secondly, the content should only be limited to however many characters if the <!–more–> tag is not already used and the limits should be optional – more tag is a decision by the content creator and the theme should not overwrite what user has specified. So, please, either make 800 character limit customizable or use the limit only if more tag isn’t used.

Bassam Tarek
    Keymaster

@karelleninc: We can’t do what you want in the theme since all our customers are dealing with it as it is now and we don’t like to change the behavior.

Since the blog files are templates you can override the template through a child theme and change the code to what you want

I hope this helps,

Best Regards

karelleninc
    Participant

Of course you can! πŸ™‚ You can add a setting “Use content instead of excerpts”, default it to “False” to keep current behavior for existing customers and add an if branch around <p><?php echo circleflip_string_limit_characters( get_the_excerpt(), β€˜800’ ) ?></p>

For you it’s literally one line of code in the theme and one setting in the settings pages, while for me it would require (in addition to setting up a child theme) to create duplicate copies of all the layout pages where the excerpt appears and then I’d have to keep them in sync.

Bassam Tarek
    Keymaster

Actually it is not a matter of what i can do, it is a matter of what is the proper thing that should be done, let me explain it in more details:

1- replace get_the_excerpt() with get_the_content(): This will force all the users who didn’t add the more tag to have their content displayed fully in their archive page and for sure this is not appropriate

2- the simple solution of “add an option”: We shouldn’t add an option for a request that a single customer requested, simply if we will do so with all our customers then you will see the theme bloated with many options that you are not using which will affect the performance after a long time and as you know “This is irreversible”

Child themes are very easy to setup, just create a folder in your themes folder and add a style sheet and override the templates, it should take just 10 minutes

Thanks

karelleninc
    Participant

@bassam, fair enough πŸ™‚

Can you meet me half way then, please?

You have “circleflip_string_limit_characters( get_the_excerpt(), β€˜800’ )” in partials/blog-layout-one/two/three.php.

Can you push-down the “circleflip_string_limit_characters( get_the_excerpt(), β€˜800’ )” into circleflip functions, i.e. “circleflip_blog_get_excerpt” returning “circleflip_string_limit_characters( get_the_excerpt(), β€˜800’ )”.

This way I can override a function in the child theme, make it universal and won’t have to override the entire blog layout partial.

Thanks!

karelleninc
    Participant

Specifically, if you make the above function pluggable I’ll be all set:

`
    TIP FOR THEME DEVELOPERS. The fact that a child theme’s functions.php is loaded first means that you can make the user functions of your theme pluggable β€”that is, replaceable by a child themeβ€” by declaring them conditionally. E.g.:

if ( ! function_exists( ‘theme_special_nav’ ) ) {
    function theme_special_nav() {
    // Do something.
    }
    }
    In that way, a child theme can replace a PHP function of the parent by simply declaring it beforehand.

`

karelleninc
    Participant

bump?

Bassam Tarek
    Keymaster

Hi,

We are sorry, we have been busy in the latest release that has just been done

Will wrap the function for you in the next release 3.1

Best Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘v2.5 update 2 bugs’ is closed to new replies.